Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Holiday Inspiration... All from shopping

This weekend I began creating some new stocking designs all based on shopping trip to Hobby Lobby. Funny how that happens.

The stores Christmas decor was 40% and I couldn't resist. I found these mini rusted star ornaments and thought I should make "country/cowboy" themed stockings. You will find both sets in this design at my Etsy store.
 
The store also had a rainbow of hoe decor chevron fabric. I had bought some grey chevron earlier this summer to make a purse and diaper bag for my neighbor. On this shopping trip, I bought a yard of lime green chevron to make stockings and yellow chevron to use in a baby quilt I'm making for a colleague at work.

The chevron stockings are subtle and striking. I had a hard time deciding what to design for the stocking cuff. I matched linen fabric but it was too tan in color. So I decided t use cream felt. I ruffled the cuff, which was thick in areas due to the thickness of the doubled felt. But the final design is great!





If you've never learned how to gather fabric for a ruffle, it's pretty easy. All you need to do is set your sewing achine for the longest stitch (7 on my machine). Sew the two edges of fabric together with the long stitch.

Below I'm attaching the red holly gathered stitched ruffle to a linen stocking for its cuff. I really like the contrast of afbric and makes it shabby chic.
 
 

I hope these inspire you to shop for fabric to decorate your home this holiday season. Don't be afraid to play with different styles and patterns either.

No comments:

Post a Comment